21st Century learning conference:
SKILLS ALL KIDS NEED TO KNOW BUT ARE NEVER TAUGHT
March 29, 2017
- Student designed. On February 2nd we invited all of our 600 students to take part in a collaborative brainstorming activity to help us design this conference. We asked them to answer the question “What skills should all students know but are never taught?” Their answers were impressive, covering a huge range of topics. We then asked our parents the same question and received 30+ answers. These activities gave us our marching orders to put together a day that is fun and meaningful for our students.
- Check us out on NBC News! NBC Boston Meteorologist Jackie Layer and the NBC “Weather Warrior” vehicle will be here throughout the morning to run sessions and introduce our students to the technology behind predicting those snow days.
- Raffles! Any conference worth the price of admission goes out of its way to give a little extra incentive for participation. On Wednesday we’ll be raffling off items to outfit your dorm room as well as Nipmuc gear and more throughout the day.
- Supported through professional partners. More and more we are connecting our classrooms to the real world! On Wednesday we’ll welcome more than 30 professionals to our campus. Milford Nissan will teach us how to purchase a car. Men’s Wearhouse will teach our students how to dress to impress. Nichols College will offer five workshops and introduce our students to 16 of their student-athletes. Bed, Bath, and Beyond will show our students how to handle the challenge of organizing a college dorm room. Bridgewater State University will bring their 20-foot globe andEarthView program to our gym. AAA, Dean Bank, Milford National Bank… the list goes on including sessions offered by more than ten of our students’ parents.
- Focused on futures. This 21st Century Learning Conference allows us to dive deeply into what it means to be college, career, and community ready. Our conference gives us the chance to move beyond AP and traditional assessments to get kids engaged in their future readiness as they learn about everything from doing their taxes to folding their laundry!
- Stop by the “cookie bar”. Available at both breaks, we’ll invite our 600 students to stop by the “cookie bar” in the main lobby to enjoy a cookie on us!
- Real-world relevance. In providing skills that all kids need but are never taught, we’ve organized a day of learning organized around seven key themes: being a better you, career readiness, college readiness, financial literacy, skills for daily life, technology skills, and travel and leisure.
- Professionally designed. A key part of our day is replicating the conference experience for our students. Using Sched.com, we’ve put together a formal schedule comparable to that found at any professional conference. Click here to explore sessions, presenters’ bios, and details about our event.
- Options, options, options… Our conference provides more than 165 sessions for our students. The sessions cover a range of topics including
- STEM and Humanities Scholars! Throughout the day, our STEM and Humanities Scholars will have the chance to get their professional headshots completed as they establish their digital portfolios and highlight their academic exploration.